Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 380 - A special evening!


My first attempt at hosting a Christmas in July dinner. Done and dusted! I cooked up a storm and made all my traditional Xmas dishes and passing around the 1989 copy of the 'Fair Lady' magazine that contains my traditional English Trifle recipe was quite funny! We realised that not that much has really changed - maybe I should take some pictures of the articles in the magazine and post it here so that you can decide for yourself!

Anyway, I decided to use apples for the flowers on the table and yep, I was pretty pleased with the result. As I never got to take pictures of the food, I thought I'd share some of these with you instead. What an inexpensive way to decorate a table! The flowers came from my mom's garden and the chicken pie she made for us, by the way, was to die for! What would I do without my mother? Even now that I'm a grandmother myself, there are some things that remain her specialities!! I have NEVER eaten a chicken pie as tasty as the one she makes and my guests agreed!





So, on the menu was:
Pumpkin soup
Sweet potato bread

Gammon
Leg of lamb
French beans with garlic butter, walnuts and blue cheese
Cauliflower with Parmesan and mustard sauce
Cinnamon and orange Sweet potato
Green salad

English Trifle with Port, Sherry and Brandy

Filter or Irish Coffee

Today is Tuesday and we've just finished the last of the leftovers!! What can I say, I cooked for a battalion, even though we were just eight! I share recipes with the greatest love, so if anything above tickles your fancy, let me know and I'll tell you what my instructions were!

To top off a GREAT evening, my friends all brought gifts for the playroom at the Red Cross Children's Hospital here in Cape Town. I'm delivering it to them tomorrow, what a wonderful way to end off a great get-together with very special people! 

I am blessed!

1 comment:

  1. That is surely avoiding the Christmas rush! It looks splendid! And that menu- what a feast.
    Wonderful idea for the gifts...

    The Camino really grows on you... I am starting to wish for my next one... Only been back a month, and like some people on the Forum says, I think about it every day. The hurt is forgotten, the good memories is growing!

    Ewald

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, I welcome your input!